View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

OT: Fraud Advice

Okay, sorry I have had such an eventful day. But I was just hoping that maybe someone here has experience with the following problem, or something similar...

As most of you know, my husband and I bought our home back in September of last year. The subdivision is still pretty new, and only about 35-40% full. The developer, who is in control of the HOA for now, hired an outside company to run things for him. There has been a lot of drama involving the HOA, regarding fees and such, but it has all come to a head here, and I will not bore you with any of the other details leading up to this, as I could write a book about these people at this point (and also to remain anonymous, in the rare event that somoene from this company is on this site).

My husband is on the newly-formed AdHoc board for the HOA, which means they are the residents' voice in the decision making process... he, and the other board members, make recommendations to the management company, who forwards them to the developer.

Well, hubby felt that the accounting books made certain expenses look inflated. He demanded that the company send copies of actual bills, contracts, etc, to back things up.

Only 1/2 of the bills were there.

Hubby called the power company today, who faxed him copies of the last year's electric bills. Surprise surprise- this company is lying about the power bill to the tune of $200-300 a month!!!

And this is the first of many companies we are contacting to verify expenditures. Who knows what else we'll find...

So, where do we go from here? Thoughts??? I don't want to be pegged for ostrization within the community somehow, but I cannot sit by idly and be a victim of this. They are obviously pocketing the money themselves... but I don't know what to do about it.