Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

If I follow the NA bulletin on this issue 100%, it suggests that we don't share 24 hours after using any substance. So NA is suggesting for members on replacement therapy not to share where they are for months, or sometimes it takes even 2 years to taper.
I'm not sure whether that's the intent behind the suggestion, KJ. And please keep in mind that it is only a suggestion...not a rule or law. My opinion is that the bulletin if referring to those "under the influence" refraining from sharing in our meetings. To me, that means someone who is high on a drug. I believe the main suggestion that most groups adhere to is not allowing "using" members to lead a meeting, be a speaker, or hold certain service positions. The Basic Text tells us that "pain shared is pain lessened." So I, personally, believe that a member who has a need to share, should share.

And I don't agree with moralizing about replacement therapy. I believe that for some people, who've tried every other way, like me, like BV, it was the only thing that worked. I hate to hear a crack-addict talking about how methadone or suboxone is "not needed" for my recovery. If you haven't had a physical oppiate addiction, you have no understanding of that at all. In fact, you can't understand what it is work my recovery, because you aren't me.
I started out in this thread by sharing that I had no personal experience with opiate addiction or withdrawal..and I don't. I also shared that what I would offer is my understanding of the NA program and my opinion based on that understanding. I've shared on numerous threads here at SR that I'd be the last one on earth to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. We, as NA members, have the final say as to what we should do for ourselves regarding personal issues (including physical health issues and mental health issues). IMO, advice is best given after it is asked for, yet I'd never advise anyone to do something I have no experience in myself. Actually, I rarely give advice at all...I share my ES&H because it has more weight.

"Remember that we, not our doctors, are ultimately responsible for our recovery and our decisions." - Basic Text, page 99

My group had a member with mental health issues for many years (she recently changed groups) and no one ever questioned her clean time. She openly shared about her problems with medications and finding balance, but she never shared specifically what the medications were (and no one asked). Like Cam recently shared, clean time is an issue each of us has to come to terms with, for ourselves. I was on anti-depressants for almost 3 years in early recovery, but I rarely shared about it nor did I consider myself not clean (wellbutrin, zoloft, & prozac).

If you (or anyone) were to ask me whether you are clean or not, my question in response would be, "What do YOU think?" But when asked about NA's view or asked to speak generally (as I have), I'll offer my understanding.