Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CamTheCat

You might find the "In Times Of Illness" NA pamphlet useful. I think some of the text is relevant. I'm a new member so I can't post a link yet, but you can google it easily enough.

I recently had back surgery, and after informing the doctor that I'm an addict in recovery (8 yrs clean) they advised that I'd need a nominal amount of pain killer. Upon discharge I refused any prescriptions, and I have a better perspective regarding the difficulties addicts have in finding compassion and support when they are on prescribed medication.

From the pamphlet:
"Narcotics Anonymous as a whole has no opinion on outside issues, including health issues. We are concerned with recovery from the disease of addiction. Although our recovery is complicated when we experience disease or injury, this does not have to lead us away from recovery...

...The use of medication in recovery is often controversial. It’s good to remember that the Basic Text recommends consulting professionals concerning our medical problems. When we remember that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using, we as members can set aside our judgment of others. Clean time is an issue for each of us to resolve individually with our sponsor and our Higher Power. An attitude of judgment on our part could cause great harm to another addict..."
I know this is a slightly different subject, but since it's related I thought I'd add my two cents. Take what you want and leave the rest.