Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

If you want to know what many NA members think about DRT, here's a good start:

Regarding Methadone and Other Drug Replacement Programs

I don't know what you've read online, but I've witnessed a number of people who were on DRT (Drug Replacement Therapy) that felt as though they were being alienated by members who didn't consider them "clean." Some became very defensive and lashed out. Some got depressed and withdrew or ran. Because I didn't become addicted to a substance that required any type of medication to manage withdrawal, I have no 1st hand experience with DRT. Yet, I know many, many NA members who were addicted to opiates that never used DRT - they detoxed in a facility or "kicked" cold turkey.

But since you asked for opinions, I have one based on my understanding of the NA program. NA is a program of complete or "total" abstinence of all mood-changing or mind-altering substances. NA also teaches that "substituting one drug for another" is not the NA way. Because drug replacement therapy is optional, IMO, and not the solution to drug addiction...I view it as a tapering process as opposed to abstinence. Tapering or "weening off" drugs, IMO, isn't the same as being clean.

Most groups have clean time requirements for service positions, but being clean isn't a requirement for NA membership. People on DRT have as much a right to NA membership as those who got clean without DRT.