View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

I think you are misunderstanding us. No one here is saying that it is right to let anyone die in pain, addict or not; nor are we disillusioned about whether or not there are resources out there that can help your friend. It's just that we, as friends and family of addicts, have been trained by naranon, alanon, and other support groups to try to put ourselves first. After all, are we any good to the addict if we ourselves are not taken care of?

Please understand that there is nothing in the world wrong with helping yourself first. While it may sound selfish, in a case like yours, taking care of yourself can be the most selfless thing you do. You may not realize it, or want to hear it, but you are almost definitely enabling him somehow. The tone of your posts gives it away. Being there to clean up after him so that he does not have to see just how disgusting his habits have become is not helping him. It may seem like it, but that just means he does not have the consequences of leaving urine-filled bottles and puddles of blood all over the floor. No consequences= no reason to learn to do better. Ever heard the phrase, "why buy the cow if the milk is free" ? Well, for an addict, that becomes "why change as long as there is someone around who will keep me from falling" ?

So, are we suggesting that you should turn your back and let him die so that you can actually help him? No. What we are suggesting is that you don't deserve to be making yourself so miserable by putting yourself in this situation. I don't care how bad that hospital is... if that hospital is so bad, get in a car and drive to the closest one that is acceptable. Not all hospitals are as bad as the one nearest to him. And if he is that determined to not find a better one to go to, then he has made his choice, and you are only harming yourself by staying put.

We really have your best interest at heart; honest, we do.

*hugs and prayers*