View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Worried about my Mom

I know that worry won't change anything but I can't seem to help myself tonight. This week my mother had what I believe were two heart events. Perhaps not full-fledged heart attacks but more warning signs. Regardless of what they were, I have a terrible, uneasy feeling.

My sister called me on Tuesday. She said my mother got sick that afternoon at church. She said she felt queazy, dizzy, and broke out in a cold sweat. Those symptoms were quite similar to the symptoms I experienced when I had a life-threatening episode of atrial fibrillation so I was more concerned than my sister. That plus the fact that I had noticed that my mother's ankles were seriously swollen at my niece's graduation party the weekend before made me really uncomfortable.

So, I called my mom Tuesday evening and expressed my concerned and urged her to see a doctor. She said she'd just been to the doctor and all seemed OK. So I relaxed a bit.

Fast forward to this evening. I just got off the phone with my brother. He took my mother out to breakfast this morning and she got sick again. Same symptoms as Tuesday. Again she wouldn't go to the doctor. Instead she chose to go home and sleep it off. My brother had his wife (who's a doctor) call to check on mom. She believes that mom had two heart events (perhaps just warning signs, too) but something significant nonetheless. She got my mother to agree to see the doctor. I'd feel better if mom went to the emergency room. But it's not my call to make. It's mom's. And she doesn't seem overly motivated to do anything about it.

I know worrying won't accomplish anything but I just can't seem to turn it off. In the four years since I've joined this forum I've lost my grandmother, my father, my boyfriend, my uncle, my aunt, and even my little dog. I'm not ready to lose my mother yet. I still need her. No matter how old I get, I still need my mother. But I know God may have other plans for her. I just hope and pray that those plans are on hold for, say, another 25 years. She's only 73 years old. All I want is a little more time with my mom. Is that too much to ask?