Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Heya Least-
Easy does it!
I completely forgave my father for the 15 years of my life that he was an active alcoholic. It wasn't hard to forgive him because once he got into recovery he really changed and his continued sobriety was just the most awesome thing to witness. He didn't try to rush anything with us.

Our family was pretty messed up thanks to his alcoholism and my mom's relentless codependence. Like, as a little girl and teenager I saw and felt some nightmarish stuff, but my dad's dedication to his recovery and the fact that the insanity with him STOPPED, 100%, was such a miracle and his humility in asking for our forgiveness was just mindblowing. I accept my childhood - it's made me the unique person that I am. And my father getting sober was like the greatest example I've ever had of courage and the ability to change "what we can!" He was my hero!!

Forgive yourself Least! Don't dwell on the past - it's gone, you're free today to be who you want to be for yourself and your daughter. Give her the freedom to deal with her past on her own terms.

Peace and (((hugs))) and congrats on your recovery/sobriety!
B.