View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
needtolearn

Boy was this the tonic for me tonight!

I am the QUEEN OF POTENTIAL!

You know, this goes along with something that I want to share. I was watching back episodes of The Batchlorette on abc.com, and I saw the episode in which Ellen DeGeneres picks out the guy who gets a rose. DeAnna had been on Ellen's show before, and Ellen is really concerned that DeAnna makes the right choice.

Anyway, before DeAnna left, Ellen admonished her by saying,
"Don't Get Hurt".

I had to think about it for a minute, because it seemed like Ellen was putting the responsiblity on DeAnna. Isn't it usually the guy's fault when we get hurt?

Then it hit me...you know, we do have the power to prevent ourselves from getting hurt! I, like a lot of women, was always carried along by the "currents and tides" of whatever relationship, and however the guy chose to treat me. I see that what Ellen was trying to say, was that DeAnna shouldn't be so eager to be in love, that she ignores any warning signs, red flags, gut feelings, or EVEN if issues come up, don't sweep them under the rug (all the things I do btw, based upon 'potential' and fears of 'what ifs').

Don't Get Hurt. 3 simple words, but they are still having a profound effect on me 24 hrs later. I realize that as an adult, I'm fully responsible for protecting my heart. Protecting my heart is the self-respecting thing to do.