View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

Thank you three so much!
Often I will just read because I feel that I can not be of any help but a couple of times I thought that maybe I could offer something but I did not want to overstep my boundaries.
So...I do have a question.
Like I said, I have been sober for almost 2 months. I attend meetings (5-7 a week), see a therapist once a week, I have a sponsor I call every day and I am working the steps. My husband has been supportive of my program but does not ask a lot or ever really comment on it. He asks if I am going to a meeting, etc. but not much else.
I know that he has to be angry and that he has a lot bottled up inside considering all that I put him through. Last night, for the first time, he mentioned something about my drinking and how I used to get trashed and he had to watch out for me, etc. I felt so bad but all I could do was apologize and tell him that yes, I had a lot of amends to make and I intend to. Right now I am only on Step 3 so I need to take it a step at a time. I did tell him I was so sorry and that I intended to spend the rest of my life making amends.

I guess my question is:
I know that he probably has a lot of feelings bottled up. I have suggested Alanon but he is just not a joiner. I know that he is probably angry, etc. Should I encourage him to talk or just focus on me and my recovery and being the best wife and mother I can be today and let him bring things up as needed?