Thread: Setting Rules
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
starflier

Thank you for the response. In these early stages of my recovery, I am being careful of setting boundaries as I have a history of never living up to the consequences of boundaries I've set in the past. I want to be absolutely certain that I am ready to apply consequences before I declare a boundary.

I am less than two months into a new job that is extremely stressful and is stretching me to my absolute limits. My A spent the last month being worse than she'd been in a long time. It seemed like she was trying to sabotage my success at my new job, but I think that's erroneous thinking. She was just bent on self-destruction as usual. It really had nothing to do with me.

I need some time to concentrate on myself and ensure my success at this job. I want to detach myself from my A as much as possible and do everything necessary to protect myself and my job, even if it means going to a hotel during the week to get the sleep I need. This job is extremely important to me, and also important to my future, especially if I am on my own.

If I start setting rules like "no alcohol in the house" and then I spend all my time concentrating on myself and making sure I'm eating right, getting enough sleep, and spending time at work rather than at home babysitting my A, then I'm just bound to repeat the same mistakes I've made in the past when I set rules that I didn't enforce.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm just trying to think this through all the way and not repeat my past mistakes.