View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lilyflower
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by discovery View Post
...Most of the time, he manages to manage it, and I'm ok with it. But there are still times when he overdrinks. He isn't nasty or mean, he just gets stupid. I'm sorry, but that's the only way I can describe it. Silly and stupid. I just leave the room/avoid him when he's like that and he knows it. He knows when I walk away, he's gone too far. But it's starting to get old...
Discovery, I see contradictions in your post. You say you are ok with his current drinking? Yet you have to ''leave the room/avoid him'' when he is drunk??

Being completely honest with you, it sounds as though you are lowering the limits of what is acceptable behaviour. Gradually as time has passed you have allowed certain behaviour to be ok with you. You cannot enforce one boundary saying, ''I will leave if the abusive behaviour continues'' and then allow the type of abuse you are receiving to be ok.

What qualifies as abusive behaviour to you?? There are many ways to abuse someone, physical abuse by hitting and beating are just one way. I personally have suffered from emotional and mental abuse and I feel he is doing this to you. It sounds as though your AH has switched his abusiveness to more subtle forms that you are attempting to qualitate so you can continue living with him. Treating someone poorly and laughing it off is abuse IMHO.

IMHO he is still abusing you, he's just getting better at it, which they do. Please please don't allow this to become ok, keep to your boundary and stop this now!!!!
:praying
I pray you find strength to enforce those boundaries you have set up, and more importantly follow through with the consequences of breaking them.

Please take care of you
Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx