View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
discovery

From Mean & Nasty to Stupid & Silly

First, let me explain that ah has come a long, long way. Only 6 months ago, he was drinking vodka every night. He would become very mean, nasty, rude, etc..

Well, that ended when I finally found the courage to enforce my boundaries. I was going to leave if the abusive behavior continued.

Fast forward 6 months... He still drinks beer/wine occasionally (whole 'nother story). Most of the time, he manages to manage it, and I'm ok with it. But there are still times when he overdrinks. He isn't nasty or mean, he just gets stupid. I'm sorry, but that's the only way I can describe it. Silly and stupid. I just leave the room/avoid him when he's like that and he knows it. He knows when I walk away, he's gone too far. But it's starting to get old.

OK, to the point (finally!)

How do I explain to him effectively that the stupid/silly/"i love you man" behavior is unacceptable to me? He thinks it's funny/entertaining/amusing. I know it sounds crazy, but the only thing I can come up with is that it is annoying, aggravating, ridiculous. Sometimes I think maybe I'm being too uptight (which I know I can be). When I try to explain it to him, it just comes out all wrong. Telling him he's acting like an a$$ just isn't getting it. It's funny that a year ago, I was praying for just a silly drunk! Now I have one, and I'm thinking "be careful what you hope for!"

As I said, our communication has come a long way, he's really opened up emotionally to me, but I am just stumped on this one. I just can't seem to effectively convey to him why this is a problem. I'm sure someone here has been there/done that. Any suggestions?