Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
pat555

To all who have responded with their advice/opinions, you have my most grateful thanks! It has been so interesting to read all of the replies. I read the excerpts from "Under the Influence" as suggested by Carol. They were very hard hitting for me, particularly the parts about blackouts. I have had more of them than I care to number. It is extremely embarrassing to not recall chunks of time or what you did. It is even more humiliating to want to ask someone, but then you didn't for fear of actually finding out, or having them realize that you don't remember.

As I have begun to look at my drinking patterns, I realize I can down them pretty fast, I carefully watch how much the people I am with are drinking so as to not get too far ahead, tend to feel more comfortable with the people who are drinking more/faster, and pick up speed as the evening/event progresses, and have no inclination to stop. Not sure if this is mental/physical/allergic cravings - it just IS. This whole thing is pretty stupid and hypocritical of me, since I am so disgusted by my huband's drinking. I have spent so much time being judgemental of him and now have to look even closer at myself. If not for my kids, I don't see that there would be anything stopping me.

As for the test- well I have to admit I feel a strange sense of anticipation at the thought of actually trying it---Don't know that I really would - But ------

Thanks again very much!!!!