Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

This is from the website that Rob B. posted :

Who is an Alcoholic?

We have a definition at NCAA that we use, that we think is a pretty good working definition, and it developed right out of the experiences of AA, as to who is and who isn't an alcoholic.

We say the alcoholic is someone whose drinking causes a continuing problem in any department of his or her life. The assumption is that the person who drinks too much on occasions, if it develops into a problem, will not want the problem and will, therefore, take action about it because of the problem. They either cut down their drinking, or they will cut it out for a while. The alcoholic would like to do the same thing, but the alcoholic is totally unable; it is impossible for the alcoholic to cut down on his or her drinking. This is the nature of alcoholism.

In fact, it is the nature of the test that also grew out of AA's experiences, and which I incorporated in my book. I don't believe any true alcoholic can pass this test: the limiting of drinks to not more than three on any drinking occasion, even if it is daily, over a six-month period. Every alcoholic would love to be able to do this. I have never heard of a real alcoholic who could pass that test.

I disagree with this because binge drinkers like myself are able to stop for long periods of time, a year or more is not uncommon for me. The desire to jump back into the abyss of another binge can rear its ugly head at any time so the 30 day test would be a walk in the park for me and would prove nothing.