View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
jwell100

All of Your Replies are Great

and I thank you all for them.

While I certainly don't know what the next few days or weeks hold for me, it is over whelming to think that the booze is gone forever. So far, this has been much easier than I thought. Day 2 and no shakes, no delusions and no more light headedness. Hopefully, sleeping tonight will be more restful and not as sweaty. I am trying to keep myself very busy with activities that cannot involve alcohol (i.e., stuff with the kids.) Now remember I am only on day two, which I am confident/hopeful will end up well. I may break down, blow up, etc. on day 3, 4 or 5, but I hope not.

I understand the take it at a day, hour minute concept and it has really helped. Last night from 8 - 9 was a personal victory as was 9 - 10. After I do this for a while, and I don't know how long a while is, I see myself trying to drink in moderation. If I can do it occasionally great. If I can't I know the answer to the question I posed.

What are the risks of getting sober for a while and then giving this a responsible try? I certainly don't know, because I have never tried to stop drinking before. My thinking is that I would be in a better place having gotten sober for a while and then trying. If I fail, then I only have to get straight after one night of drinking. Yesterday, I started the process of getting straight after years of drinking.

I appreciate all your opinions on this issue. Having re-read this post, I imagine that it is stereotypical of an alcoholic. "OK, I will stop drinking for a while, but when can I drink again?"