Thread: Dual Addiction
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I got into a 12-step program because my codependence with my daughter's addiction made me sick... so sick, I was ready to commit suicide. My Alanon meetings helped - very much.

What I discovered while there, though... is -

I drank alcoholically for 10 years
I gambled when stressed about my daughter
I took Percoset the way an addict would - for the effect
When I exercised, more was never enough... I went from working out 2X week, to daily & multiple times each day.
I have always said there is no such thing as a dessert "too rich" or "too fattening" for me not to have a second (or third) helping
I realized that almost every person in my family is alcoholic/addict - even those who "gave up" drinking and using.

Alanon gave me an awareness I previously did not have. I can more clearly see MY path and MY vulnerabilities.... and am far more aware of what it takes for ME to "go back out".

I was fortunate that I found a reason to quit drinking early enough in the progression of my condition that I was ABLE to quit. I was fortunate that meth was not readily available when I was drinking, as it is exactly the kind of drug to which I would be attracted. I was LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY. And today I know I cannot rely on luck.

So in my increased awareness, I know I am an addict.... and by that I mean that the things I love... I OVERDO. Drugs, relationships, booze, pills, even exercise.

For me, being an addict means my drug of choice is .... "more". I can't imagine NOT being cross-addicted.