View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Munky

Hello Folks - Day 1

Well, I sat here for the past five minutes trying to come up with a title for this thread and apparently, 'Hello Folks' is the best I could come up with. I guess I'm a bit nervous since I've never really sought help for my problem.

Where to begin? Let's see, well, my name is Joe and I'm currently a Sales Assoc. for RadioShack, Inc. I'm also a Computer Technician but there isn't much for that line of work in Vermont. I live with a chronic pain sufferer who would occasionally give me Oxycodone (5mg tabs) or Percocet when I asked for them. As you can imagine, since I never had to actively go out searching for pills, it was quite easy to become physically hooked. All I had to do was open a cupboard and there was a treasure trove of pharmaceuticals just waiting for me. I've been taking them for about a year and started to become addicted about 4 months ago when I started snorting them with friends.

There is good (I suppose it could be considered painfully good) news though. Today is the first day of my sobriety. It's been 24 hours since I took my last 10mg of Percocet, so I don't think I've felt the worst of the withdrawals yet. So far the symptoms I've had are: weakness, joint/muscle pain, restlessness, eye tearing, runny nose, excessive yawning (causes the eye tearing), constant cold chills. I have yet to suffer diarreah or nausia/vomiting, but since dinner my stomach has felt kind of wierd. I have a feeling I'll be suffering insomnia when I try to get to bed tonight. During dry periods I always had trouble sleeping. I've read some other posts of people not sleeping in over 100hrs, I sincerely hope that is not the case with me. The longest I've ever gone was 52 hours, and that was hyped up on Aderol (don't worry, I don't do that anymore).

I'll post again sometime tomorrow and update the status of things. Right now I'm using Benedryl to counteract the allergy-like symptoms, which is working quite well. But, ibuprophen is not working at all for the body aches. Can anyone suggest anything that will work better for the muscle/joint pain? My current inability to get comfortable is getting old fast.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.