View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nowinsituation

The organization I work for offers a program within the State's schools providing training and resources for the teachers and schools in identifying and dealing with at-risk kids. It is really a great program; but is always scraping by with little funding support. They offered a pilot program last year providing free sessions for parents. Timing was great for me because my son had just been ticketed for an alchol-related offense/suspended from the football team/etc., etc. I was at my wits-end calling the school and talking to everyone I could think of about how unfairly he was treated and how could I get him back on the football team (isn't that what Mom's are supposed to do???--NOT). Anyway, the parenting class was GREAT; lots of materials and advice; and just talking to the few other parents there about similar things we were going through. However, there was such little interest in the program (most classes were cancelled because of lack of enrollment) that they did not continue it. I would sure like to see something like that be successful. I think most of the parents are maybe in denial or want to maintain a facade that their kids are not involved in drugs/alcohol in their teen years.

But -- my son is now a very successful and independent college student; I am very proud of him. He is not the A that brought me here (his father is); I pray every day that he can avoid that legacy.