View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Steamer17

New here - could use advice

First post here...sorry in advance for the rambling....

I'll try to keep this short. My signifigant other has been kind of in and out of AA for a few years. I love her like nothing else in my life. She does not actually drink, but has severe self worth, anxiety, and acceptance issues and drinking is the only thing that helps. She has not had a drink in over a year and a half, but still is just a 'wreck' - her term, and really needs to get serious with the steps, her therapist, and start "working on herselgf" seriously.

So right now she tells me she cant be with me b/c she needs to work on herself. After 5 years this tears my heart out. Logically, I understnad what she means, but EMOTIONALLY, it kills me to not be able to help her, be ther efor her, and to be by her side. I am so so so afraid of losing her and afraid that the new her wont want/need me. I know this sounds selfish and first and foremost I want her to be well, it is just so tough.

We just had this discussion last night so I am raw, and really hurting. I want to give her her space and I know she needs it, but I also want to run over to her place and hold her for days on end.

Any tips? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.