Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Welcome to SR!

Relationships are a challenge no matter how you look at it. It is always a matter of compromise on the part of both parties. Compromise without resentment.

My husband and I are both strong, independent personalities (he is not an alcoholic). We've been married for 23 years. So can a relationship work when there are two very strong, independent (and different political affiliations too!) people live together in harmony? Absolutely yes.

But throw in addiction and a new little one, and the challenge is definitely BIGGER.

When my RA son and his girlfriend announced that they were pregnant, my heart dropped (my son was deep into alcoholism at that time). I worried about them and the unborn baby. That was over three years ago and my little grandson is such a joy. My son's girlfriend is now is ex-girlfriend but they co-parent beautifully (now that he is in recovery). I respect her so much for not rushing into marriage with him. I supported her decision to move out a few months after the baby was born because my son was impossible to live with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have huge challenges ahead of you but they are not unsurmountable. You can't control your bf and he can't control you. As long as you are both attempting to do just that, there will always be conflict. If you have not already done so, I would highly recommend that you learn as much about alcoholism, addiction, recovery and codependency as you can. Understanding these things will help you to understand your man and YOURSELF much better.

gentle hugs to you and the wee one in your tummy