Thread: family drama
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kpaul32

family drama

Hi All,

I was reading the really good advice about cleaning house and I think I am at a point where I need to do so. I came to Florida at the repeated requests of my sister and her adult kids. They said that it did not "feel" like family down here without me. What a joke. I have been often ignored by them and not included in many of their activities. During the 11 months I have been here I made it a point to remember each family member at birthdays and Christsmas. My birthday was a few weeks ago, and I was stood up by everyone and overlooked as they went about their lives. The family dynamics here are so weird. In a nutshell it is this. My sister is an addict and after a few months of recovery went back out two weeks ago. I guess her month long absences ,while using , led to a "power" vacuum into which my 20 yr old neice has stepped. She is the power broker in the family now. She lives at home rent free in a beautiful new home.She does not work, but rather has her boyfriend pay her car note, etc. She and her live-in boyfriend occupy the master bedroom because she talked her father into letting her have it when they moved in several months ago; and my sister had not yet come home from one of her month long binges. Anyway my point is this. My sister did her best to recover. My neice and her boyfriend went out of their way to stress her out, disrepect her in her own house, and just really try to drive her back out. You see my sister's husbands job requires him to be away on contracts for extended periods of time, and with my sister out of the way my neice and her boyfriend have it made living rent free in a beautiful home on the hill. I intervened when I could on my sister's behalf, but it was a losing battle. My neice turned other family members against me and said that I moved down here to start trouble. They are sick, selfish, and I almost hate them all. I almost understand my sister fleeing that home. I would too if I had to be around that group of manipulative, selfish, evil idiots. I will continue to help my sister when I can, but I am done with her kids and her weak ass husband. I am cleaning house. I will stick with the people I met in my recovery program and endeavor to meet friends here and at meetings. That will be my new family.Anyone ever had to "divorce" family