View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Hi LogCabin,

Thanks for sharing your beliefs and experiences. The responses are great too!

Yesterday at my AA meeting, I started my share by trying to explain my Higher Power. I noticed that people were starting to look confused. I went to Catholic schools in my childhood/early teens and I have been a part of Native Canadian (Ojibway) ceremonies and traditions all of my life. I have also come to find an inner peace and a spiritual connection to others & nature. It all comes together as my Higher Power. I can’t really define it and I’m okay with that.

I also find AA to be somewhat “religious” – some of the language in the Big Book, Serenity Prayer to start the meeting, The Lords Prayer to end the meeting. When we talk about our Higher Power, however, people’s beliefs are all over the place. The great thing is, we respect each other’s viewpoints and when all is said and done, we all seem to be talking about the same thing. I think that it is about being open-minded and respecting each other.

AA is such a valuable resource for alcoholics. We may differ on our Higher Power but we share a common enemy and there is a common solution. Regardless of our beliefs, we are there to help each other and it seems to be working out just fine.

By the way, from now on at meetings, I’m just going to say Higher Power – no explanation required!

Best wishes!