View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

I'll go first.

Mine is a combination of things, some of which were listed, and others were not.

I feel best when I take care of myself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Physically, I have to eat right and exercise regularly. Aerobics, weight training, pilates, yoga, swim, bike, whatever you like.

Mentally, it's good to always learn new things; keep an active mind. It doesn't have to be rocket science. We can take up pottery, or a language; music class or any type of adult education that we've always wanted to know.

Emotionally, positive affirmations and bubble baths; therapy or 12 step programs, (if appropriate). Actively rejecting negative thoughts that intrude. Connecting with friends for a lunch, or an afternoon/evening out doing somehting fun.

Spiritually, reconnecting with the G*D of your understanding; your spirit; or the universe. Recognizing the oneness of it all. Take adult classes at your church, mosque or synogogue.

It's difficult to do all of this when deeply depressed. But, starting with one, and working up to the four each day will make a marked improvement in your life. At least, it does with mine!

This doesn't mean I reject medication and/or therapy when necessary. I do both when I need it. But, honestly, when I am doing the above, I've never been at a place where I needed the medication and/or therapy!
Coincidence?

So, that's what makes it for me, anyway.
I hope there's something here that will help someone else.

Shalom!