View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Daddio
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Rowan. Nice thread. I currently live in the historic town of Vicksburg, Mississippi. The original name of the town was Noga'les (Spanish for walnuts) because of the vast number of Black Walnut trees that adorned the territory.

The city overlooks the mighty Mississippi River. A fact that played a pivotal role role in the Civil War way back in the mid 1860's. There is a National Memorial Park here that see about 1.5 to 2 million visitors each year..

Highway 61 runs north and south through the city and is considered the Blues Highway.

And it is hot here as well. The usual term is 95 - 95 (95 degrees F - 95% Relative Humidity). Winters are very pleasant.

Most of the houses here in the city, where I live, were built at the turn of the last century. In fact, the house that houses the restaurant in which I manage, was built in 1880 and is listed as one of the top 1,000 places to see in the world.

And as far as Mississippi goes, some little known folks such as Elvis Presley, Bo Didley, Snoop Dogg, Leah Anne Rhymes, James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman and Oprah Winfrey are from the state. The list is much longer, but you get the idea.

Thank you for inquiring.

Last edited by Daddio; 06-10-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Additions.