View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Step Study ~ Step 9

As it does sometimes, life got in the way and I haven’t kept up with this online step study. Here’s a link to the “sticky” for the first 8 steps and their discussions: Step Study

Step 9: Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Step Nine is an action step in which we become humble enough to verbalize our regrets, if appropriate, to the people we’ve harmed. Identifying the persons we have harmed in Step 8 took courage. Because of our thoroughness, we build character by calling upon our Higher Power for the courage to change the things we can. We cannot undo our past and we cannot expect those we approach to respond positively, but we can admit our part and do whatever is possible to mitigate the consequences of our past errors.

In making amends, we need to understand that we’re not necessarily making an apology. There are differences between amends and apologies. In making an apology, we usually say, “I’m sorry” expecting a response of acceptance, pardon or forgiveness. In making amends, we may state our errors, our role in the incident and that we will correct their behavior for the future. We may or may not ask for forgiveness, and we may or may not experience a positive response. In many cases our changed behavior indicated stronger amends than words can ever be. If we have any expectation of the response to amends, we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment.