View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
miss communicat

Dear Tib

Hang in there. Its a journey and for me, feeling my anxiety was part of the process of early sobriety.

I've always had low grade anxiety, and when I was drinking/drugging, it escalated to high anxiety, alternating with panic and deep depressions. But I was in such a fog, these states of mind all blurred together to make me the mess that i'd become.

For my first 2 - 3 years in sobriety, I felt those anxious feelings abit more acutely because they weren't numbed by alcohol. But, I also was able to clearly watch them subside, and soon grew calmer and more trusting in the fact that I would be okay, no matter what.

Once I embarked on the actual stepwork of AA, I found I had tools that helped keep me a bit more centered. Talking it out with another alcoholic. Going to meetings and sitting quietly for an hour, listening and sharing about our experiences. Prayer and connection with my higher power. Service work. Yoga and meditation and breathing practices regularly.

Completing the 4th and 5th steps actually seemed to have taken away most of my deep anxieties.

Be patient. Sobriety works!