Old 06-01-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SailorKaren

Originally Posted by strongerwoman View Post
[...] I really want to email my daughters friends mother and ask her if she would put our family on the "urgent prayer" list, as I know they have a huge prayer network at the church.
My problem is, I dont know....it seems so low to ask this woman for prayer, to admit to the mother of my daughters best friend how bad things are here.

So difficult. Do I just say:

Dear xxxx, Our family is really struggling since my AH moved out and I was finishing nursing school. We are on the verge of eviction and could you please place us on the prayer list at church? Thanks so much, xxxx

Does that sound okay? Sounds corney to me.
Is that enough detail? I am usually long-winded and dont want to sound all dramatic and pathetic, ect....

Also, how do I politely ask her not to discuss this with her daughter? My daughter would be mortified if she knew I was talking to her friends mom about this.
This does not sound corny to me at all. It sounds humble and to-the-point. It sounds pretty much like what I asked for not long ago. The fact that she is a pastor means that she will treat your request in confidence.

The recent and sudden end of my relationship challenged me to reach out and ask for help. My pastor and her partner took me in to their own home for a week and a half, and it was a lifesaver for me. It is not low to ask for help, it is not wrong to reach out. My ex was mortified that I would talk to our church family about what she had done to me. "It's none of their business!" she cried. Well guess what -- she doesn't get to dictate to me how and where I get support in a crisis. I received help and support I never thought possible. I encourage you to follow your instincts and send the email. If she gently asks for more information, I would take the opportunity to share. People with the spirit and ability to help need to know help is required. There may be a flood of support awaiting you.

Your daughter may feel uncomfortable with others knowing about the situation, but part of this disease is the isolation it engenders. By reaching out in a crisis, you will be showing her the benefits of trusting safe and supportive people, and she'll experience for herself the miracle of helping others.

You are doing great -- keep posting and telling us what you need.
Karen