View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chino

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
She becomes just another mentally/emotionally unstable drug addict on the streets and maybe this time, the consequences will play themselves out, prison and/or death.
I don't have a clue if kicking your daughter out is the right thing for you or her. The mental illness you described is a lot for her to overcome. I know my daughter had a few diagnosis too but when she stopped actively using, only one stayed with her.

My mom is the drug and alcohol case manager at a homeless shelter in a major metropolitan area. She has a lot of clients with co-occurring disorders and they span all ages. Some have been in prison, some have spent their lives on the streets. I asked her one time if it's really depressing to her and she said no in the grand scheme of things. It gives her hope because there are so many of them and they've survived, are actively working towards a better life.

My mom always has a story of hope. How some have come back and let her know they are surviving and even thriving. How they've finally accepted their mental illness and are working with it, not against it.

My mom was doing this job long before my daughter became an addict, and I've seen what could be. At first I was so freaked out because my daughter could end up one of them and I told my RAD that. She knew it too. When she was winding down during the active phase into maintenance, she mentioned my mom's job too.

At some point I decided to adopt my mom's philosophy, that there is so much hope as evidenced by the hundreds who walk through her door looking for and wanting a new life.

Whatever you decide, I'm praying for your daughter and for your serenity.