Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Callie

My AH just came off of a 3 week "binge" (pain killers) racking up $2200+ in poker debt. He possibly has bipolar, but nobody can know due to the extensive, long term drug use (pain killers). I've drug him to dr. after dr. after dr. He starts out strong working with them, but then quickly dwindles. Starts messing with meds (stopping them, self adjusting or "adding to them"), missing appts. ect.

He did call and make an appt HIMSELF (huge) for the pdoc, but of course he can't get in for another month. Also, the referring counselor pretty much said I HAD to go with AH to the appt. in order for the new doc to have ALL of the pertinant info.

So here I am, yet again, the calm after the storm. It will be fine for a few weeks or even a little longer until the next storm starts brewing. USUALLY in the calm after the storm, I'm always hopeful thinking "FINALLY, we've gotten through to him. We can FINALLY start living a right life! What is so odd about this cycle is that I feel like I will help him, I"ll go to the appts., help research the meds, help monitor him ect. BUT I want him out of the house. IF he can do it on his own, great - we can talk then. But right now I just cannot take another letdown - believe me I've been down the doc road for the last 3+ years with him- I know how this cycle works.

For those of you that know about MI - how safe is it for him to get the proper medical treatment by himself. I know if he was an addict only the "let him fall" theory works. But what if it's an addict with bipolar - does the same theory hold true? He's starting to see he has something going on, but before he's always pretty much refused to believe he has any kind of MI. (And maybe he doesn't, it COULD be because of long term drug use - who knows)

Right now he's all over the place - very calm and in control one minute, erratic and nervous the next.