Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ex D-Boy
Mr.MeToo?

Hi Mrssez, hope everything is well with you.....

When I first went into rehab(11-07) it was called a "Dual diagnosis " type of facility. Which meant that the professionals that worked there all believed there was some other medical reason for why I was using drugs. Being that I was depressed, bi -polar, or had bad anxiety. You get the picture. I saw a psych doctor there and they diagnosed me with GAD(generalized anxiety disorder). They wanted to put me on 10mg of lexapro for something like 6 months to a year.

I decided not to take the meds after long consideration and a discussion with my parents about it. Yes i did have bad anxiety at the time, but that was not because i had GAD..it was simply because i was coming off a serious heroin habit!! That is all part of the withdrawal when you stop using a drug. Of course your going to be extra anxious and have depression etc when you are stopping a mind altering substance you are so used to.

Also my therapist gave me a great analogy for those meds that they wanted me to take. He said, "Yes the medication is quite helpful to many people, but instead of giving you a life-jacked(medication), lets teach you how to swim instead(non meds coping with daily life etc) Dunno why but that always stuck with me. But thats the situation i went through, managed to stay clean through today, hope that helped somewhat ;\

Hope you and your AH are able to get through these tough times and have a wonderful future together

~~Scotty