View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

KJ, there's nothing wrong with having hobbies, recreation or healthy habits...please don't misunderstand me. You said you had an "addiction" to vintage dolls, so maybe I misunderstood YOU. To be honest, I really don't think you have a problem with buying dolls or bidding on ebay. Only you know that.

Or Garry, say, if you had many shoes you didn't even wear, that could be a problem maybe.
Bingo!! Give the lady a vintage doll!! (LOL!!!) KJ, I'm talking about, what we call in NA, "acting out" in my disease. I'm not talking about moderation or spending within a budget. Mind you...your story may not resemble my own, but there was a time when I included buying drugs in my budget - that was when I was a "functional addict." But, yes, I have sneakers I haven't worn. And there have been times when I've bought sneakers when I still had new ones still in the box!!! I've got 2 pairs of Stacy Adams dress shoes I never wore (from last year). For me, it isn't so much about whether I can afford them, because I have a pretty good job and make a decent wage. I have what they call "disposable income" so I haven't got to the point where my bills don't get paid or I don't have food. LOL!

Trust me...I've heard stories of homelessness, divorce and incarceration as a result of "acting out" and unmanageability. Remote controlled cars, scratch-off lottery tickets, jewelry, gambling, stealing, cheating...you name it. The problem is, just as our drug addiction progressed and we couldn't see it (until it was too late), progression can occur in other areas. So, IMO, it isn't always about the drugs.