View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
Lol, shoes...I'm ashamed to admit, my addiction is vintage dolls and doll accessories.
You see... that's what I'm talking about. It isn't what we become obsessive & compulsive about, its that we can identify with it and admit to it. When we're able to recognize our disease showing up in other areas, we have the tools to combat it. Admitting I have a problem with a certain behavior opens the door.

It's been 3 months since I've bought sneakers, but the catalog comes every month. I don't need any new sneakers, but if I look through the catalog, I'm sure to find something I want. Notice..."I want" is the start (self-centeredness). If I think about it too long, I'll convince myself that I need them (obsession). Once I'm convinced, I'll buy...and I rarely buy one pair because I'll tell myself buying 2 or more saves on S&H (compulsion & rationalization). This process can be immediate or happen in a week or two. Is it the disease of addiction? I'd say so.

Over the past few months, when the catalog comes, I don't even look inside. I throw it away or rip it to pieces. My next move is to cancel my subscription. Otherwise, I have a reservation...and sad to say -I do. But I'm working on it. Is that a cop out?