View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
queenteree
Recovering Nicely

My husband is the alcoholic in my family. Two years ago he was diagnosed with alcoholic liver disease, diffuse fatty liver and some fibrosis. He continues to drink. Six weeks ago, our dr., who we trust immensely, told my husband that if he continued to drink, he'd be dead in 6 mos. to a year. Husband still continued to drink. I spoke to the dr. this past week, told him that his scare tactics didn't work on him, he's still drinking. Dr. said to me that it wasn't scare tactics, thinks by now he's cirrhotic and he honestly feels if he doesn't stop, he'll be dead in 6 mos to a year. Said he gave him the "cold, hard facts". He said if he lingers on, as some alcoholics do, for a couple more years, it would even be worse, since he also sees signs of neurological damage and wants him to see a neurologist. Up until dr. said this to husband six weeks ago, husbands liver tests all came out in the elevated range, no better, no worse, etc., so hubby took that as a "good" sign that he can continue on the path he was on. At last appt., Dr. couldn't even feel husband's liver, told me it could be that instead of his liver being inflammed, it has become cirrhotic and has shrunk.
It's great that you've stopped drinking. Now you'll have a better chance at your liver regenerating itself than if you continued to drink.