Thread: I am an idiot
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

OK, let me try this again. Thanks Carol for the tip! Anyways, Tolle's book is pretty simple really. It's pretty much a version of Buddhist/Zen/eastern philosophies. Anyone remember Alan Watts (college reading for me)? Essentially, what we are all seeking is not to be found externally (material possessions, accomplishments, etc) but within ourselves. Also recognizing paradoxes...one side of the coin can't exist without the other, victory through surrender, that kind of thing.

A funny story about Knapp's book...About 10 years ago, I was in a bookstore and picked up a copy and read a random bit. It scared the **** out of me. I quickly shut it and fled the store. A few days later, I crept back in, casually sauntered over to the book and, after looking left and right to make certain that no one was watching me, again read a random selection. It scared me even more because I was reading all about me! Again, I flung it down and fled the store. Fast forward about 5 years, and by this time, I knew that I had a PROBLEM and went to buy the book. Being the good alky, I chose a few novels and sandwiched her book in the middle. When I got home, I read the whole thing in one sitting. She was so humble, honest and courageous. Unfortunately, my copy was missing a CHUNK of pages and I really wanted to read the whole thing. So I had to go BACK to the bookstore, SHOW the clerk my copy, GO to the addictions section and get another, bring it BACK and SHOW the clerk for his OK. Someone was trying to tell me something, ya think...:wtf2