View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

There is something else you really need to consider.......................................... ...

ALCOHOL AFFECTS MORE THAN JUST YOUR LIVER.

Years ago, a term was coined called "Jake Leg." It referred to Alkies that still walked like they were drunk, when they weren't. In reality it is called Alcoholic Neuropathy and can appear long after one is sober and also if one continues to drink.

I know. I drank tons. Have been sober many years now and in '98 at 17 years sober I started having some symptoms. By December of 2000 I could no longer do what I had been doing for years, private care of the terminally ill and/or totally incapacitated. No more lifting, no more helping them walk, hell I didn't know if I could walk. My legs would give out, they would go a different direction than I wanted them to.

What caused this? The alcohol had burned off the outer coating on the nerve endings and over time the nerves started giving erroneous messages.

There is also an increased possibility of developing Diabetes. Oh and lets not forget Lung Cancer, afterall many of us drank in public places and many smoked so even if we didn't we got the second hand smoke. It also affects your gall bladder and pancreas, kills brain cells at an accelerated rate, etc

So................................................ ........that being said do I think doctors exaggerate? No I don't and if your doctor is telling you to quit, and you want to have any decent quality of life, I would suggest you listen to him.

Obviously you are getting very concerned about your alcohol consumption or you wouldn't be on a recovery site.

So..................what's going on with you. Why do you think you might have a problem, and what do you want to do about it?

J M H O

Love and hugs,