Thread: I am an idiot
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

Thanks Mle! I can't tell you how much these responses mean to me. Alcoholism can be such a lonely disease, if we let it. I know it's in my best interest to reach out, it's just so hard for me. To answer your question...I do love to read. I finished "Eat, Pray, Love" and while it's not about addictions, I found it truly inspiring. I'm in the middle of Eckhart Tolle's "the Power of Now" and, it too, is empowering. In the latter, he encourages people to find their "center" (apart from thoughts and emotions). By doing this, we can realize how transitory our thoughts, feelings and desires are. We are truly whole in this place (minus the ego). By focusing on the "now", we are free from the past (resentment, guilt, regret) as well as the future (worry, yearning, etc.). That makes sense to me and I can do this, but only for brief periods. Like I said b4, my impulsivity and emotions (anger, pity pot) are my downfalls (well, at least some of them LOL). I loved Caroline Knapp's book: "Drinking, a love affair", which is obviously more on topic. But I appreciate your suggestion and will look the next time I'm at a bookstore. Did you have any in mind that have been helpful for you? Thank you again for your help!