View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Ok, had a chance to fully read your post. YES, I can totally relate to what you are going through. Early sobriety truly sucked at times. I spent hours driving around by myself just to keep the anxiety down. Of course I stuck to country roads that were quiet and scenic.

I think you are doing an awesome job. There are many things that will help with anxiety as well as medication. Yoga does wonders. I know that sounds silly but it does. There are some fairly inexpensive tapes you can get on it a good one to start with is "Am yoga for the beginer".

I too have returned to college to work on a degree. After having been a nurse for 20 years and having worked as a paramedic for 12, when I got sober PTSD kicked in. The anxiety was insane. I spent a lot of time when I could not even leave my house without someone with me and forget about going any place crowded I just couldn't do it. I have not worked in nearly 2 years because of the PTSD and the anxiety it creates. I have had many days when I could not make it to class because of the anxiety. I have taken a lot of classes online towards my degree, even chemistry now that was hard online. That has helped a lot with the anxiety. It was also a good way to get into the swing of being in school again and helped me to ease into the classroom setting.

I do hope to see more of your posts, it sounds like you are in the right place.

Hang onto your sobriety, as life does get better.

Judith