View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
thisisnotmylife

Teggie,
Wow as I read your post I realized we have a very similar story. I married my husband 8 years ago. He was an alcoholic when we met 10 years ago and he went to AA and stopped drinking and hasn't touched alcohol since. Last month we got in a huge fight and he left for a couple days. He refused to talk to me and finally confessed he had a big problem with hydrocodone (vicodin). He was working in a pharmacy. I totally freaked out I had no idea. I called the pharmacy and said he had a problem. I thought I was protecting him but had no idea I was opening up a bigger mess. He was charged yesterday with embezzeling drugs from work. He started out with a couple precriptions from the doc for back pain and he would take more than what was prescribed. He went from doc to doc getting new refills. I never new he was taking them to begin with. My aunt almost died from taking vicodin for so many years then she went to rehab then started again and her body went into complete organ failure she was on life support and and a miracle happened and she survived. I thought he would never do drugs after seeing that but instead he increased his usage. He was taking almost 20 pills a day. He said he was so fearful of me finding out and what it would do to me. My husband did check himself in to rehab last month for a week and has been doing Intensive outpatient therapy since.
I guess my point of telling you this is I understand some of what you are going through. We fought constantly when he was doing drugs. He was very defensive and would make excuses for his behavior all the time. In the last month I have gone through a roller coaster of emotions. Drugs make them do the most obsurd things. I have 2 children myself. We have to do our best to protect our children and take care of ourselves. For the first time in many years I am finally letting my husband suffer consequences for his actions. Yesterday he had the nerve to complain to me about the consequences and I was furious!! I am also suffering consequences for his actions and I didn't choose this. Wow - I had to get all that out sorry if it is scattered. This is the first time I have posted. Thanks to anyone who listens!!