Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LarryATL

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Well, this is going to sound crazy to some, but I get my strength from knowing that everything in life is temporary. Relationships, houses, cars, material things, can all be gone at any time. You could lose those things in a divorce, or you could lose them to a fire, flood, medical disaster, anything. If "things" are all that make life good, then you live in constant fear of losing them.

I'm not saying I don't want things, because I do. I happen to have a nice home and a nice car and a pretty well-paying job at the moment. But, deep down I know that it could all be gone in the blink of an eye. And what's more, I'm okay with that. How? Because I trust that life will bring me exactly what I need at any time. Run through the "worst case scenario." For me, right now, that would be losing my job. If that happened, I wouldn't be able to afford my mortgage and would have to sell my house. In this market, I would be lucky to get what I owe on it, so buying another would be a long shot. I would probably have to rent, might have to sell my car and get a cheaper one. I could probably get another job, but in this area chances of making what I make now are slim to none. So, I would either have to settle for a lot less, or move. Neither option sounds appealing, but at the same time, I know I would survive. I also know that there is a chance that when something life-changing happens, it can be a great opportunity. I could re-invent myself. Maybe start a business or get into an entirely different field that is more in line with my creative self. Who knows?

By clinging to and fearing losing what I have, I create suffering and misery. By accepting that everything in this life is temporary, I let go of the fear and live each and every moment to the fullest. That's what living is all about.

Oh, and see Thoreau quote below.

L

Wow, very profound, LaTeeDa. This is one of the most wise observations I've read in this forum. I'm not a very religious guy but I've been doing some research lately into world religions and your point of view comes close to what the Buddhists espouse - that "things" cause us suffering, and the more attachments we have to "things", the less happy/serene/etc. we will be.

It's taken me into my early 50's to realize this, though I"ve sort of suspected it all along. Thanks for the wisdom and the reminder.

Larry