Thread: Daddio's Story
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober
mle-sober

Daddio,

As a child, the grownups who cared for me believed completely in miracles. The word, "miracle" was a word that was used freely. I believed it though. Deeply. When I grew up and began to question my experiences - many of which were rather horrendous and many of which were sublime - I had to question the concept of a miracle and the truth behind that. I have to say, even after I waded through the parts of my childhood that were filled with deception, ego and self-absorbtion on the part of the grow-ups, I still believe in miracles.

I've just been in too many circumstances were there were sudden and unanticipated shifts in the spirit - where it felt both in my body and my heart as if I were being opened or somehow allowed to glimpse something that doesn't really have adequate words. I've been present and seen others be moved to speak in tongues (both my mother and my brother speak in tongues after praying for the gift - it sounds like no other language I've ever heard.) And I've been moved myself, during or after prayer, to do and feel generous things about which my heart had been harded against previously.

I can only call what you experienced a miracle. And I'm very happy you shared it with us and that you experienced it. If you don't feel like it is a miracle, I hope I don't offend you by saying that's what it looks like to me.

For me, quitting drinking has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. And I've had my trials, believe me. And I don't know why God didn't see fit to lift my alcoholism away from me the way he did for you. I don't resent it in any way - don't get me wrong. But I am a little anxious for others reading your thread and in particular this part:
"I prayed to God for his healing mercy. I knew that I needed a power much higher that any mere mortal could give me. This was not some new found shout out. God has been a close buddy of mine for quite some time. I just never really asked for his help with this problem. I quit cold turkey with never, ever having tried before. No doctors, no AA, no nobody."

I know you are not saying that this will happen for everyone. That all everyone need do is pray to God and don't worry about the detox or having a plan for support. What it sounds like to me is you are giving witness to your healing. And that can only be good. And I hope I'm not over-thinking this. I probably am. I have that habit. But I hope other newcomers reading your story will know that your story is true and at the same time their story is their own. And will be unique to them. Their path might have similarities but will also be uniquely their own path.

When I was a little girl, my family was friends with another familiy who didn't believe in doctors, only prayer for healing. Their small child died of the croup while they prayed over her. A simple visit to the doctor could have prevented it.

Hopefully without offense,

MLE