View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chino

Hi Bren,

Another mom checking in! My 20 year old daughter is currently in the recovery phase and her DOC is IV dilaudid.

The first time I reached out for help was to a psychologist in private practice (his specialty is addiction). He spent the entire visit interrupting me and telling me everything I was doing wrong and that turned me away from seeking outside help for a while.

I didn't go to him because I was looking for solutions, I went to him looking for insight into addiction. I'm the kind of person that needs to have at least a basic understanding of things before I act.

After searching high and low for local meetings, I went to a few NarAnon meetings and decided it wasn't for me, at least not at that time. As with Sigh, it was sensory overload for me. There was already enough anger and pain at home and inside me, I couldn't handle any more. Another thing was that I wanted to talk and I didn't want to share the time with others. That was selfish of me but a good kind of selfish.

I found another therapist and, along with this forum, have made my way to a much better place. I'm not sure that I've ever asked for advice here, but I've certainly received it. There were many days I felt so afraid and didn't post anything, but after reading something pertinent to my own situation, I knew I would be OK.

I finally discovered detachment and serenity because something on this board triggered it. I even remember the date -- March 20.

Do whatever you need to help yourself and you're in my thoughts and prayers.