Thread: Drunk Worms
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
docdave
Paused

Hi Chy...read the same article myself...it is well known that the ability to process alcohol once it reaches the biological system differs in populations across the world...for instance, take an old norwegian like me...could drink copious amounts and still function...until it turned on me...native americans and orientals generally do not process alcohol well...because in their genetics they can'nt convert ethanol to aldehydes like those from european ancestry can...there for--and there's always exceptions to the rule--it generally takes less for those cultures to feel the effects...There is a genetic component in all of our addictions...yet we insist on finding the one gene that's responsible for all addiction...and these genes differ to some extent in all of us...do we really think that finding one gene in a worm is going to solve this problem?...will this one gene solve the problems on the native american reservations...high unemployment...unadequate health care...depression...anxiety...etc...will it solve the spiritual disconnections that most of us have had to address...many of the emotional and spiritual issues in our lives have kept us drinking...now the way I see it...if we can assess these factors--body/mind/spirit--in the worm, if we can give the worm a new drug and get it to stop drinking...if we can assess the worm on the psychological level and help it get past the emotional issues...if we can help it reach a new level of spiritual attainment...if we can make sure that nutritional it gets a adequate diet and excercise daily...then by golly I'm all for it...I wonder if a chinese worm is genetically different than a european worm...mind boggling ain't it...dr dave