View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

((((lillian))))

I have to let you know that I am not in any way being sarcastic by what I am going to say. Some of it will more than likely hurt. But the truth must be told.

Hon, your kids are already suffereing. Although my exhusband is not an alcoholic/addict, my son was only 2 1/2 years old when his behavior told me that he knew alot more of what was going on than I would have ever believed. His Dad would be gone at work for days on end and when he would come home, there was alot of arguing. One summer morning when I was potty training him and it was so hot he only had a pull up diaper on, he went into the kitchen and peed all over the floor. His Dad and I stopped argueing right away and as I went into the kitchen, I asked him why he did that. I will never forget the look on his face when, through tears, he said, "So you guys stop fighting." That's the last day his Father and I lived together.

You have to decide whether you want to protect your children from witnessing all of this or continuing to watch his destructive behaviors. He's an alcoholic and there is nothing you can do to change any of this. By continuing to let him stay in the home, you are only enabling him.

You ask how much more you have to take, that's up to you. Until this man gets help and works seriously on his Recovery, this is only going to continue. It's completely out of your hands. You can only Pray for him. The rest is up to him.

I hope you will continue to share with us. There is a great deal of support from others who either are in a similar situation like you are or who have been there in the Family and Friends forum. I will Pray for your entire family and that you do what is best not only for your kids, but for yourself as well. No one deserves to live like this. Perhaps letting him know that as long as he is drinking he cannot live in the home will be what it takes to have him seek help for his disease.

God Bless,
Judy