View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yardbird

If your version of the 12 steps works for you, beautiful. "Don't drink" is the message that really matters, after all.

And no one should ever tell us that we are "bound" to drink again if we don't do this or that--I've met a few people in AA who are dogmatic about that too, and they irritate the hell out of me. Well, on my good days, I'm sympathetic to them, since they've often been to hell and back, have good intentions, all that...

But most of the time I feel like just telling them to **** off. (I've never done that, tho, since the dogmatic ones, for some reason, are also usually the big, burly guys who could slap my skinny *** through a wall if they felt like it.)

Also, if the "don't drink" 12 times method ends up not working for you, you might want to check out other groups, other meetings, all of that. There are even secular versions of AA in some areas.

By the way, I'm in AA and would never dream of calling my higher power "God" or "Vishnu" or any of those others...just other people. Haven't been going to meetings much lately, but I have lots of people I can call if I feel weak, and that is still working for me.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Keep checking in here if that helps.