View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kj3880

"we don't know what we don't know. So, ultimately...if I'm not careful or aware, I can be honest and telling a lie."

Truer words were never spoken. In the past 6 weeks or so since I joined NA, I've heard some of the most ignorant, irresponsible nonsense passed off as truth because someone has an uniformed medical opinion about say, medically unsupervised cold-turkey withdrawal from some types of drugs being something that you can't possibly die from.
Its a truth for the person speaking it because maybe it worked out for him/her. But not a truth for all people, all situations. I wish people in NA, and people everywhere for that matter, who give out medical advice, would research it first, or leave it to a doctor. I've even heard people on here do it. I always hold my breath when I see someone advising a person going cold-turkey alone just "tough it out" "You'll be Okay." I always hope that's true. And I never think that the answer is to pick up using again, but to check in with an ER or doc if you start having seizures or really dehydrating or other scary stuff. Especially pregnant women withdrawing.
Don't get me wrong, I know it comes from a place of love and best of intentions, but people should really think twice before giving advice unless they are qualified to do so.
Just my example of someone's truth being a lie. There are others.
kj