View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Photonic

Taking the Plunge

Hello All:

For those of you that don't know me, I am a 37 yo nurse that suffers from PTSD way back. This stems from childhood and I see no reason to go into the details of that, enough said. I did the ususal destructive things a kid does that goes thru that, I started drinking early and other things. When I graduated high school I joined the military. Which at the time, I didin't know only served to make the illness worse. I continued to drink heavily in the army but was lucky becasue it never did stick. When I got out I just quit. At this point I did manage to get a little help from the military, as I had had a very stressful job. I was put on an antidepressant and xanax. These drugs gave me the ability to function, so I was able to go to school and attain my degrees. I have been a practicing RN for the past eight years. I don't know why, I guess because I was so busy with school, and the doc's never said anything it never occurred to me there might me a better way than xanax to function. Anyway I have been on the stuff for eight years now. I knew something was still worng and the connection never dawned on me. Till I ran across an article one day in the library of the hospital having to do with chronic PTSD. It was like I was reading about myself. I decided at that point to seek out professional help. I am just getting started on this road, I have had two therapy sessions and the pdoc I see now throws out more drugs than a pez dispenser. These two work together within my hospital group and this is what they specialize in. I have meanwhile had to take FMLA and it looks like it is going to be slow going. My ultimate goal is to do as much healing as possible and not have to take any pills in order to function. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank You;
Nic