Thread: From AH
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by Confused757 View Post
Maybe because I was the one who was there by his side for 5 yrs holding him up (or trying to) It's like what CatsPajamas said about the new wife getting to experience the good side of him that she didn't. My children & I suffered, then someone else get the reward? (Or something like that)
I used to feel that way too. I drove myself nuts thinking of this 'perfect' life he now had with the other woman.

Truth be known, he married her when he was HIV+ and neither of them knew it. I missed getting it from him by about 2 weeks.

The package deal she got was to watch her addict husband slowly wither over the years after it became the clinical stages of AIDS.

She got to bury him last year and he was 47 years old.

We all know that life has its ups and downs. For me, I choose to look at the positive and go with that.

Even though I have been clean and sober for almost 18 years now, I have two daughters who are active alcoholics.

I'm going to hold onto my own recovery because it's precious to me.

I choose to have faith that God has a plan for each of my daughters just as he has had for me all along.

We can focus on the 'could have had', or we can focus on the moment in front of us and find the blessings we do have in our lives.