View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Goldfish

relationship/drinking not mixing

I really want constructive feedback on my situation. Please help me.

Yesterday my boyfriend of two years came over and told me that he loved me. He loved me when I was drunk and when I was sober. He only likes me when I'm sober though. And he cannot have a lasting relationship with an alcoholic. (His father was an alcoholic).

This came as a shock to me. I knew that my drinking made him uncomfortable, but I didn't know it was a deal breaker. I've quit for a month successfully. But when I tried to quit indefinitely I made it 2 1/2 weeks and a month in my 2 times I tried. Each time I go back to drinking he didn't show that it bothered him but it apparently did... a lot.

So now we have 2 options. 1. I quit and we stay together. 2. We break up. (I quit or I don't)

I want option 1. I'm just afraid of screwing up. We've talked about how I need to feel comfortable telling him if I've slipped so I don't have the temptation of hiding my drinking from him and he isn't always wondering if I'm at it secretly. He's worried about the line though. When is it too much and the relationship is over? There's got to be an ultimatum out there but there also has to be the ability to tell him if I do drink.

We're planning on seeing a psychologist I've seen a few times to see if he can come up with something.

I really don't want to break up. I love him. I want to quit but I'm afraid the time bomb feeling I'd gotten in the past is going to come back and I won't know how to deal with it. I'm not choosing drinking over my man. I'm just trying to figure out how to make a realistic road to recovery and keep us both sane.

Please any and all help is appreciated