Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bragi

Originally Posted by NYC_Chick View Post
Hi Bragi!

My father is an alcoholic. He also becomes a different person at night. I learned a few years ago not to call pst 6pm on weeknights and 2pm on weekends because he his drunk and slurring after those hours.

My friends have met my dad, but I am always honest with them about his drinking before they meet him to stave off embarrassment. I care much less now because it is his disease and I can't control him.

Your feelings are 100% valid so done feel bad about anything you are feeling.
NYC_Chick,

Your post made me laugh a little because I wrote essentially the same thing you said in the first paragraph a second ago in another post.

Since I didn't really realize about the drinking until the past couple years, I've only been worried about the embarrassment things recently. Since I have, every time I bring a girlfriend to meet her at her house (on the rare occasion I let that happen; usually I try to do it at a restaurant where she can't drink so much), I get really nervous and am not myself. My mom is invariably drinking, and behaving differently. At least once I called off a trip to the theatre with her and my sister and girlfriend over stuff that she did. She seemed genuinely confused by my action, which really shocks me. How can she not know?