View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ctt

Originally Posted by Summerteeth View Post
I posted this in the "Family & friends of substance abusers" board, but I think this may be a better place for it. Does anyone else here have the experience of a parent becoming an addict later in life? My father became addicted to cocaine, Xanax and Oxycontin in his 50s. Anybody have a similar experience?

That's what happened in my case. My parents had a perfect relationship until I was 12. My dad was in his 40s and he start drinking more and more. Now he is in his 50s and he is an alcholic.

Because of that, I am a little different from other ACOA.
I have good childhood memories.What it affect me the most was my dating life.

Because he was drinking I neever wanted to bring anyone home or date. But when I finally liked some I rushed into marriage, and after that I realised I was suffering from extreme case of jealousy.

So before I was detached, couldn't comit to anyone and after that I was too onsessed and needy.
Now I am in my 3rd year of marriage, I toolk some medication for 6 months to let my feelings calm down. It says that when you live with your parents you deny your feelings and after that they just come all at once.

Now, I feel much better, better and better every day. I am not jealous anymore and I try to set boundaries with my family of origins. I am making progresses.